ThinApp – Part 2: Capturing Applications
- On clean machine, run ThinApp prescan and then install the application (it can be physical or virtual Windows machine with fresh installation). (Prescan takes a snapshot of the current state of the machine)
- After the install, Thinapp does postscan to get another snapshot of the system and registry.
- Thinapp project is then created using the differences between two snapshots.
Before capture, it is best practice to take VM level snapshot so that you can return back to base golden image for capturing other applications in clean state.
ThinApp supports 32 and 64 bit Windows platforms. For all supported platforms, please visit documentation center of ThinApp.
During capture process, the limitations of ThinApp is that it cannot virtualize:
- Ay component embedded in OS
- Apps requiring kernel mode device drivers
- Antivirus and Personal Firewalls
- Scanner Drivers and printer Drivers
First of all, thin app needs to be installed on a clean image that will be used for capturing: Run thinapp setup capture from the network share…Installation is very easy, just follow the steps on screen to install ThinApp Setup. The files installed can be seen in the following picture.
Start the capture Wizard
Install Application and click postScan
You can put app data or files into package, like customizations, templates, extra documents before postscan. After postscan, snapshots are created under “Local Settings\Temp”. Select files you want to have available for users:
Some of the apps listed here is for troubleshooting and not for end user, such as:
- cmd: Access to virtual systems
- regedit: access to virtual registry
- iexplore.exe: debug Internet related apps
If Horizon Workspace is installed, you can configure in the next screen:
Select authorized groups:
Primary data Container
Sometimes MSI can be chosen over EXE:
- App registers in add remove programs
- can be displayed in file association list and shortcuts in the computer
- When traditional desktop management is used to deploy to remote locations, msi might be needed to manage lifecycle.
- For deployment with Vmware View,
- If using AD GPO to push apps or deploy polices
Put in Captures Folder:
You can further edit ini file before build
For Updating the Thinapp, we have 4 options:
- Versioning: Suffix files with version numbers, Thinapp selects the Highest sequential number. Ex, app.1 app.2 (Sandbox is not deleted)
- SMBMerge.Exe: Merges runtime changes back into ThinApp project
- Application Sync: Updates over Http and https automatically (Admin puts updates to Web/Update Server)
- Relink.exe: to update the existing package to the latest version of ThinApp.