SCVMM 2012: Share image file instead of copying
When you attach an ISO image, you have an option called “Share image file instead of copying”. If you don’t select this option, the file will be first copied to the host where the VM is running on. This might not be suitable in most cases as it requires disk space and bandwidth, and time to copy the file to the host. Instead, if you select this option, the file will not be copied to the host and will be shared over the network. However, for this option to work you need to do additional configuration.
If you don’t have the required configuration, upon attaching the image, you get the following error message:
VMM cannot complete the host operation on the hv1.bt.local server because of the error: ‘testSharedISO’ failed to add device ‘Virtual CD/DVD Disk’. (Virtual machine ID D20796DF-C6D9-426A-B74A-C3EF983970D6)
‘testSharedISO’: The Machine Account ‘BTHV1$’ or the user initiating the VM management operation or both do not have the required access to the file share ‘\scvmm.bt.localMSSCVMMLibraryIsoen_windows_server_2012_x64_dvd_915478.iso’. Please ensure that the computer machine account and the user initiating the VM management operation have full access to the file share as well as the file system folder backing the file share. Error: ‘General access denied error’ (0x80070005). (Virtual machine ID D20796DF-C6D9-426A-B74A-C3EF983970D6)
Unknown error (0x8001)
Resolve the host issue and then try the operation again.
First, grant read permissions on both share and NTFS permission to SCVMM service account and Cluster hosts.
And then, the delegation must be configured in AD DS:
- Right-click the computer account of a Hyper-V host, and click Properties.
- Click on Delegation tab, and select “this computer for delegation to specified services only”, and “Use any authentication protocol”
- Add > Users or Computers> select VMM library server > OK > In the Available services list, select “cifs” > and click Add.
- Once this is configured, it should start working. However, if you received the previous error message, you first need to repair the VM with ignore option as the previous job ran will be in failed state.
Then try attaching the iso again : )
- VMware Identity Manager – Workspace ONE – Provide Access to Horizon Desktops and Apps & Workspace ONE mode - 17 September 2017
- VMware Identity Manager 2.9.2 – Workspace ONE – Installation in DMZ with Outbound-Only Connection Mode - 17 September 2017
- Deploy Unified Access Gateway (UAG) 3.0 with Horizon - 17 September 2017