How to create and deploy SQL Server with SCVMM 2012 SQL Profile – Part 2–Creating SQL profile
To create SQL profile, click on Library, and then right click on SQL Profiles and hit Create SQL profile:
Name your profile and click SQL Server Configuration tab on left and hit SQL Server Deployment:
Instance ID: is the name we used during prepping the sysprep image: “SQLSysprep”
Instance Name: is the SQL instance name. I will use default SQL instance name.
Installation Run As Account: This is optional. If you don’t specify it, VMM service account is used to complete the setup (I would leave it as it is). If setup files, for example, is on a network location, the account specified here needs to be able to access that share. Additionally, if you want to have SQL services to run under domain accounts, this run as account needs to be able to validate those against the domain. Instead of specifying it here, as the requirements can change later, you have an option to use “@” tag. If you enclose a variable name with “@var@”, during deployment you will be asked to provide the value. Installation Run As Accountalso needs to have admin privileges on the VM being deployed. I recommend specifying local administrator account as run as account, make sure the password matches with the one you specified in sysprep during VM template creation.
Once done, select Configuration under SQL Server Deployment, and specify Media Source, Administrators, Security Mode, SA (required when SQL Auth selected), TCP/IP and Named Pipes, and config file.
The media source is on the local drive C:SQL2008R2EE (part 1). I selected SQL authentication to make the deployment simpler, (my VM is also in Workgroup), and for sa password I used “@sapassword@” so that I can change define SA password during deployment. Also enabled TCP/IP and named pipes for remote connections.
The profile settings defines common SQL deployment options but for advanced settings, SQL Server configuration file can be used.
- For SQL setup parameters: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144259.aspx;
- Sample Configuration.ini file http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd239405.aspx
- In the last section called “Service Accounts”, SQL Server Service, and Agent Run As Accounts are required. For service accounts, I could not make it work with system. So I created local admin run as account with a password specified in the template. Make sure to create run as account in local context otherwise setup fails.
Click OK and we are now done with creating SQL Profile in SCVMM 2012.
- VMware Identity Manager – Workspace ONE – Provide Access to Horizon Desktops and Apps & Workspace ONE mode - 17 September 2017
- VMware Identity Manager 2.9.2 – Workspace ONE – Installation in DMZ with Outbound-Only Connection Mode - 17 September 2017
- Deploy Unified Access Gateway (UAG) 3.0 with Horizon - 17 September 2017